Wednesday, June 3, 2009

I am having a relapse

Damn, it feels so good to back. I feel like having a relapse.

It is the end of a wondrously good Tuesday night. I sit here a happy man. So many great things have transpired in the past month and now I can share them with you all without restraint or without wondering who’s going to misconstrue what or who’s going to make a situation out of a non-situation. But for now, we can take the time and stretch our legs and get reacquainted with one another like we haven’t met before.

My nights recently and days for that matter, have been spent in extreme desire and passion. From parking lot to empty desert to crowded movie theater; it abounds all. My nights have been spent staying up late on Monday nights and going to the record store for the midnight sale of the new releases that come out on Tuesday. So far over the past few weeks I got the new Jason Lytle record. Last night was the new Rancid, the new Dave Matthews Band, the new Manson (came out last week), and the new eels record.

There is something so satisfying about this, I must say. Many things, actually. The first thing is; to me, waiting for something you’ve been waiting for, for so long to come out that you go out and seek it out and hunt it down and hold it in your hands is amazing. The other thing is standing there in the record store with the other music dorks waiting around for them to announce it’s time to get your record buying on. And I use the term dork not lightly. These are music geeks. The other great thing too is standing around with her and seeing her smile and wait like the rest of us for her new cd (The DMB disc. Those of you who know me, know I think he’s brilliant, just not into his music.) There’s something about her getting as excited as me about a new record that’s just amazing and warms my heart to no end.

I should also say that over the course of the past month I’ve also purchased the new Iron & Wine b-sides record (almost a waste of money since I already had nearly all of the tracks), the new Bob Dylan (the best thing about it is the title, Together Through Life.) the new Eminem out of morbid curiosity (not bad) and a bunch of singles from Townes Van Zandt. (very good.) oh and the new Manchester Orchestra which is pretty good not great.

I’d say of the few records that I’ve given a lot of time and attention to so far, the Jason Lytle record is absolutely amazing though it is also very very lonely. It reminds me of myself in a way, which is why I’ve always loved him. The entire record is about being alone and it’s funny, because when I go back to read my old blogs, they are all about that as well. Oddly, the new Eminem as well has provided endless entertainment. The guy has basically lost his mind and then got it back again and wrote a crazy insane genius record. Also from the very little I’ve heard, the new eels and the new Manson record are really really good too.

That’s another great thing about music, I just realized. Turning someone you love onto your music and they onto theirs. It’s a great connection to be had if you haven’t had it yet.

So there’s been that going on, as well as going to movies a few times. So far in the past month or so, we’ve seen The Soloist. (Wasn’t great.) Tyson, the documentary about Mike Tyson which was surprisingly compelling and somewhat informative, if not too short. Also a Mexican made movie called Sin Nombre that was very good but falls into the overly used cliché at the end. I think I may be forgetting one, maybe not, but we went to the midnight premiere last week of Drag me to hell which was a lot of fun but not really what I was expecting.

I played a show at the beginning of last month that turned out to be one of the best nights I’d ever had in my life. I can’t go into too many specifics, but I played a show, drank some beer with my love, and later ate a BLT after a wonderful parking lot make out session. Well, I guess that was a bit specific.

I’m sorry to report, friends: that old me you were used to is somehow now almost gone and forgotten entirely. If that’s at the expense of being bored, then so what. I sure as hell lived my life the other way for years and now that I’ve gained some happiness in my life, I’m not looking back. I can’t afford to.

I kinda feel like we should ease into this new format. Like we’re dating. I’ve got so many stories and so many things to say that this blog will be up and running yet and for a long long time. So settle in. take care. And you know I’ll always be back.

At the end of this month I hit a landmark. At the end of this month I turn 30 years of age. To be honest, I never really truly believed I’d make it this long. Even if you asked me 6 months ago, I’d say it was sketchy at best. Now. Well now, friends. You might not like me now. These really are the last days of the suicide kid. At least for now.

1 comment:

  1. im glad you decided to keep blogging. im going to add you to my blogroll if you dont mind. :)

    ReplyDelete